Sunday I baked 4 sweet potato pies. I've been trying to perfect the recipe for quite some time. I didn't have trouble with the taste of the pies but it was the texture I couldn't get quite right. I planned to bake one for my brother-in-law Marvin who had a birthday on 12/13. The same day I baked an apple crisp. It was the perfect day for baking since it was very cold and rainy outside and no one wanted to venture out for any reason. The pies came out perfectly and the apple crisp was really good too. Tony ate it on top of his oatmeal as well as ice cream. Now I’m ready for Christmas. Here’s the recipe.
Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9 inch pie
- 1 (1 pound) sweet potato
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
- Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
Now remember I made 4 pies so you will need to double the wet and dry ingredients. I used 6 medium sized sweet potatoes.