August 24, 2009

Laid to rest...

Daddy was laid to rest this afternoon at the Georgia National Cemetery in Canton, GA. He received taps and my Mother was given the American flag. The ceremony was beautiful. His wake, funeral and burial were well attended and he was loved by many.

My Dad was born in Orrville, AL in 1931. He attended a Lutheran church and school as a child. He left home at an early age and traveled as a migrant farmer through various states to Canada. He later joined the Army and at the end of his service met and married my Mother Juanita Dukes in 1954. They had 6 daughters. Debra, Karen, Stephanie, Rosina, Pamela (me) and Marcia. My Dad was an advocate for education and always impressed upon us the importance of getting our education and being seif sufficient. He leaves behind 15 grandchildren, 6 great grandchildren, 13 brothers and sisters and a host of nieces, nephews and cousins.

I have been thinking of him all day today. I keep saying his name. Daddy, pronounced Daiddy

Goodbye Daddy. I'll see you in heaven.

0 comments:

Post a Comment