June 3, 2009

What are your family vacations like?


Almost every year we take a family vacation. Lately we've been going to the same place. Wrightsville Beach, NC, because of Tony's family reunion. It's beautiful there. We're not going this year and we did not attend last years' reunion. I have been wanting to plan a vacation where the whole family participates. Rent a big house and just chill out for a week. Many families do this. I was reading an article the other day about a family who vacations every year in Cape May, NJ. Here's a little bit of it.

Alma Parker and her husband, Charles, began spending summers in Cape May, NJ, back in 1946. After Charles died, in 1999, Alma chose to live in the family's Cape May house full-time. Every year, her daughter, grandchildren, and extended family reconvene in the seaside community.

Why Cape May:
Alma sought out the welcoming seaside city as an alternative to the racially segregated (and often racially hostile) shore towns of the 1940's Maryland, and she quickly recruited other African-American families from Baltimore and Philadelphia to explore the area, as well. "Cape May is our second home," says Nicole Cosby, Alma's granddaughter. "Our entire community of friends and family who we work and play with throughout the year in Baltimore all pick up with us and travel to Cape May every summer. Learning to ride a bike, learning to swim, learning to drive, first dates, first jobs - they all happened for me and most of my family and friends in Cape May."

The article further lists their favorite activities, where they stay, beloved local joints, and their favorite eats. What wonderful memories they have created. I want this for my family too, even if I have to start with my own children. I'll be seeking out a good spot for us. I will start with choosing a state. It may be North Carolina. If you have any suggestions let me know in your comments. If you have a spot where your family already vacations every year share that with me too.

1 comments:

Karen said...

I would love to have a family vacation where all of us are excited to attend. Tybee Island in Savannah is a place I have been longing to visit. NC also has great spots. Maybe we can explore a few spots and make suggestions to the rest of the family. Maybe somewhere closer to New York? Maybe Martha's Vineyard. Hey, maybe even Cape may like Alma and her family. So many choices. I will personally help promote this idea throughout the family and whoever wants to participate....wonderful!

Post a Comment